Monday, August 3, 2015

Minimizing side effects: unexpected ways how minimizing has helped me

I start with mentioning that I  use minimalist ideas and simplifying as tools to create better life for me, not as a purpose. But on the way I've found out a few unexpected things that have improved that I'd never thought about.

I can breathe.
I'm allergic to dust and mold (and probably to many other things). Both of them are common in indoor air. But I accidentally discovered during my minimizing that having less stuff means having less both of them and it also makes cleaning way easier. Air in my home is cleaner, surfaces are easier to keep clean and I can breathe so much better now and my allergy is so much better. I would have started minimizing years ago if I'd known that.

I have more to wear.
Sounds contradictory, I know. Now that I own less items of clothing I actually feel like I have more to wear because everything I have is organized and visible in my closet I can get some I ideas as soon as I open the closet without searching through it.
Also, everything I have fits me, I like the items and most of the items are easily matched with each other. So I can pick anything and be happy with the choice, really.
And finally, having less means that I know what I have in the closet. I don't need to start re-discovering my own closet every now and then to find items I've forgotten.

First time in my life I might actually look elegant/stylish/have a personal style
..continuing with clothing.
I've never cared about fashion or style. I do like to look nice I guess, but I've always worn items of clothes that I own and like at the moment. It means that if I open my closet, the mood is right, and the item is there - then I'll wear it.
Yellow socks, dotted skirt and and a Garfield t-shirt - no problem.
Now that I try to have less clothes, I try to make sure that all items I have actually go together.
 So it might be that the clothes I have now actually make people think that I might have some style or sense of style :)

I have less guilt.
I'm the kind of person who always feels guilty. If I do the thing that I should, I feel guilty that I didn't to the thing that I wanted. If I please one person I feel guilty that I'm not pleasing another person at the same time. If I'm visiting my family I feel guilty that I'm not working at the same time. If I'm working I feel guilty that I'm not doing something social.
But now I feel guilty less. Not that I don't feel it at all anymore, just less. I hope the amount of time spent guilty will lessen more :)
Simplifying means a lot of thinking why I'm doing something instead of something else and if the thing really needs to be done. And thinking more about the reasons and root causes helps to clear my mind about the things world, people and myself expects from me and the reasons why I should or should not do it.

I've become more creative
I've always been rather creative. At least I like to think that. I used to draw and paint and write stories and poems and I take photos. But the more time passes the less I tend to do it.
During the last year, I've gotten more back to it.  I even started blogging (again) as you can see :)
Maybe it's the period in my life I'm going through, who knows. But there's a correlation and I'm happy about it.

I sleep better.
You know the feeling how your brain rushes around as soon as you plan to fall asleep. You just can't get to sleep because brain is having fun (or breakdown ?).
I used to stay awake for hours at night, trying mental tricks to slow my brain. But now I'm able to fall asleep much more quick.
The journey has made me much more calmer, both day and night. I have less clutter around in my home and apparently less clutter in my head also.


No comments:

Post a Comment